For the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), if you are based in the European Union, StarNow is both a controller and processor of your personal information.
Privacy of your information
StarNow collects personal information about you through your use of the services and the Website, including:
- your registration details and profile information (including your name, date of birth, contact information, demographic information, location and work history)
- information you submit when you contact us, apply to listings, or send messages to other StarNow users through the Website
- and other information relating to your use of the Website and the content you access (including your device, IP address and the pages you visit).
StarNow may also receive personal information about you indirectly from another StarNow user who has included your details on their account profile (as a close contact).
If StarNow is unable to collect personal information from you or you do not provide requested information, your use of StarNow’s services may suffer from reduced functionality, and certain features of the service may be disabled or unavailable to you.
You agree that StarNow may process your personal information:
- all personal information that you provide to StarNow for inclusion in your personal profile will be collected and stored on the StarNow Website to enable visitors to the Website and advertisers to view your profile, and your profile will also be accessible from search engines such as Google (unless you have set your profile to Private); and
- where you choose to apply for any role advertised through StarNow your contact details and any information entered into your personal profile will be provided to the advertiser (including any photo you have uploaded);
- where you have placed a listing or advertisement, any information entered into the listing details will be provided to applicants;
- where it is necessary for the purposes of a legitimate interest pursued by StarNow, being for ensuring Trust and Safety of users of the service, or StarNow’s internal business purposes (including in connection with any audits, professional advice, research, testing, analytics, fraud prevention, or process and service improvements), to verify your identity, and for contacting you from time to time about your registration, account updates, and promotional information about the StarNow Service and features;
- where necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which StarNow is subject. For example, StarNow may disclose your personal information, including your name and contact details, to the relevant authorities, parties and/or the applicable intellectual property right holders (or their representatives) to comply with any notification and reporting obligations and any access directions imposed on us by Government agency, and otherwise where the law requires or allows us to do so;
- for promotional and direct marketing purposes, including by email and other electronic means (unless you have unsubscribed); or
- for any other purpose authorised by you or applicable law.
If you are a resident of the EU (including the United Kingdom), you also have the right to:
- request the erasure of any or all of your personal information;
- restrict or object to the processing of any or all of your personal information;
- request the porting of any or all your information to another organisation;
- lodge a complaint regarding our data processing activities as they relate to your personal information with the supervisory authority in your member state.
Please note that where StarNow is not, or is no longer, in a position to identify you within the information we hold (including because of any de-identification techniques we may have employed), then your rights as described above shall not apply.
StarNow will respond to any request made in respect of the above in accordance with the GDPR where you are resident of the EU (including the United Kingdom), in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) if you are resident in Australia, and in all other instances in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020 (New Zealand).
StarNow will respond to any request made in respect of the above as soon as reasonably practicable, but in any case within 20 working days of a request, or an extended period where the requests are complex or numerous (in which case, we will inform you of such delay within 20 working days of the request).
Data Minimisation, Retention and Erasure
If you make a request for StarNow to delete your personal information, and we no longer have a legitimate purpose to retain your data, we will securely delete your profile and personal data. Any back-up copies of your data will be archived out and deleted within 45 days of your request being actioned.
Despite the above, StarNow may:
- in some cases, retain a copy of your profile and account activity in order to fulfil our Trust and Safety obligations. Data retained for Trust and Safety purposes will be archived and stored in a secure manner after your account has been closed, and will not be accessed unless required for Trust and Safety reasons.
- Retain personal information in an aggregated, de-identified or otherwise anonymous form, such that there is no reliable way of identifying you from the information.
In some cases our third party service providers will retain your personal information in accordance with their data retention and erasure policies. In cases where you request that your personal information is deleted from StarNow, we will work with those third party service providers to remove your personal information from their systems as well, on a reasonable endeavours basis.
Personal information of third parties provided by you
You acknowledge and agree that, in respect of other person’s personal information (including the personal information of your close contacts) that you provide us with, authorise us to collect or upload into (or link to) your profile and make available within the StarNow Website, App and/or services, you will:
- comply with your obligations under all applicable data protection and privacy laws;
- notify us without undue delay if any person withdraws their consent, or any part of their consent, or objects to any processing of their personal information through the StarNow Website, App or services. This shall include any withdrawal of consent, or objection received by you from a person to whom the personal information relates;
- will make sure that you are frequently updating any personal information included in (or linked to) your profile that relates to those other persons when requested to do so by a that person;
- will not upload or transfer “sensitive data” or “sensitive information” (as those terms, or similar terms, are defined in any applicable data protection or privacy laws);
Disclosure of personal information
- our related companies and organisations and partners;
- third party providers, in accordance with the section headed “Third Party Services” below;
- authorities, regulators and professional advisers (including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers);
- third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge all or parts of our business or assets; and
- any other party authorised by you or permitted in accordance with applicable law.
You consent to the rights of access, processing and disclosure on the basis specified above.
StarNow will collect, store, use or transmit your personal information securely using technical and administrative security measures as are reasonable in the circumstances and that reduce the risk of accidental or unauthorised loss, misuse, access, disclosure or alteration.
Please note that when providing personal information to StarNow via the Website, the transmission is not completely secure and will depend on your browser and internet settings. StarNow cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to StarNow via its Website and any such transmission is at your own risk.
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive, or on your mobile device. StarNow offers many features that are only accessible when cookies are enabled. Cookies also help us to remember your membership details and preferences.
If you visit StarNow with your browser settings adjusted to accept cookies, we understand that you want to use our products and services. However, you can disable cookies at any time.
Third Party Websites
Third Party Services
StarNow may also use third party providers to provide certain services in connection with the StarNow Website, App and/or services. StarNow may disclose personally identifiable information to these third party service providers for the sole purpose of the provision of services to StarNow or to you, or in connection with your membership of StarNow.
A list of the categories of third party service providers StarNow uses to provide services in connection with the StarNow Website, App and/or services is provided below:
- web hosting and content delivery services (such as Rackspace, Microsoft Azure, Cloudflare, Fastly)
- direct marketing services (such as Mailchimp, HubSpot, SendGrid, Returnpath)
- marketing and remarketing services (such as Google Adwords, Facebook)
- analytics and reporting services (such as Google Analytics)
- site security and monitoring services (such as Raygun)
- site development and maintenance
- payment services and billing agents (such as Worldpay, PayPal, DataCash, Spreedly, Apple, Windcave)
- mobile app services (such as Apple)
- social Media services (such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- collaboration and documentation services (such as Slack, Evernote, Google Docs, Trello, Atlassian)
- UK advertiser and marketing and support services (such as Casting Days)
- Customer Relationship Management services (such as Pipedrive)
StarNow will only use trusted third party service providers for the sole purpose of the provision of the StarNow Website, App and services or in connection with your membership.
StarNow also uses third party remarketing cookies, in particular, Google AdWords. These remarketing services may place cookies on web browsers in order to serve ads based on past visits to our Website. This means you may see ads about our service across the Internet, specifically on the Google Content Network (GCN). This allows us to make special offers and market our service to those who are interested in our service, and only display ads that are relevant to you.
We respect your privacy and do not collect or store any personally identifiable information through Google AdWords or any other third party remarketing system.
If you do not wish to see ads from StarNow you can opt out in several ways:
Spam and your email address
Your email address or Facebook account is used to identify your membership, and to sign in to the site.
After registering with StarNow you will receive regular casting call update emails, containing casting calls and auditions matching your profile. You may also receive our email newsletters, account updates and information about StarNow features, and messages from other StarNow members.
You can easily unsubscribe from most of our emails, either by using the ‘unsubscribe’ link provided in the email, changing your notification settings on your profile or by contacting us using the information provided below. Please note that you won’t be able to unsubscribe from some emails relating to important activity on your account (e.g. payment receipts, message notifications)
StarNow NZ LP
PO Box 6372, Marion Square
You may also contact our UK and EU Representatives directly, who will be happy to provide you with further assistance:
VeraSafe United Kingdom Ltd.
37 Albert Embankment
London SE1 7TL
Phone: +44 (20) 4532 2003
Contact form: https://verasafe.com/public-resources/contact-data-protection-representative
VeraSafe Ireland Ltd.
Unit 3D, North Point House
North Point Business Park
New Mallow Road
Contact form: https://verasafe.com/public-resources/contact-data-protection-representative
The Information Commissioner’s Officer can be contacted here: https://ico.org.uk/
General Purpose Collection Statement
By default, your profile is set to public, which means that all personal information that you provide to StarNow NZ LP for inclusion in your personal profile (including all photos and film reels) will be collected and stored on our website to enable visitors to the Website and advertisers to view your profile, and your profile will also be accessible from search engines such as Google (unless you have set your profile to private).